For many of us, summer means road trips, and also for many of us, we want to bring our pets along. Driving with pets is often fun, but it does have its challenges, as our furry friends sometimes don’t like to sit still for very long. At Dick’s Automotive, we want your time on the road to be as pleasant as possible, whether that means performing a thorough inspection or providing you with some helpful tips and tricks for traveling with your pet:
- You can put your pet in a well-ventilated crate or carrier. Make sure it is large enough for your pet to comfortably walk, lie down, and turn around. It might be smart to allow your dog to get used to it before the car ride, letting your pet adjust at home.
- If you are planning for a long car drive, you can take them on several short drives first, making sure your pet can handle those and then gradually increasing them, if problems arise.
- Feed your pet three to four hours before hand. Don’t feed your pet during the drive since this might lead to unexpected bathroom trips.
- Never your dog alone for extended periods of time.
- Pack a pet’s traveling kit, including bottled water, a bowl, leash, grooming supplies, plastic bag, and their favorite toy for comfort.
- Don’t allow your pet to ride with their head outside the window for a long period of time.
- Rubberized floor mats and waterproof seat covers are an excellent option if you plan on taking your dog on more trips.
We hope these tips can help you travel safely and securely with your pet. We are also here to make sure everything goes smoothly. Contact us today to set up an appointment with our qualified technicians. We are conveniently located at 1550 Tollhouse Road in Clovis, CA. 93611, and we look forward to seeing you and your vehicle soon!